Introduction
The first official record of Freemasonry in Carrickfergus was in the year 1755, when a Warrant was issued by the then recently constituted Grand Lodge of Ireland. This was Warrant No. 253, and was followed a year later in 1760 by No. 270. The fact that warrants had been applied for to the Grand Lodge implies that Freemasonry existed in the town prior to 1755.
Knowledge of the meeting places of the early Lodges is not easy to come by, as it was the custom to meet in private houses; the first known "set" place for organised meetings was Mrs. Mary Blair's dwelling house in North Street. The next known meeting place was the Parochial Schoolroom, by kind permission of the Dean of Connor. From here, in 1870, the lease was obtained of a suitable house in the "Back Lane" (Lancasterian Street), and the upper part of the dwelling converted to a Lodge Room. In the 1890s, Lodge Nos. 43 and 282 commenced plans for the building of a new Hall, and ground was acquired in Victoria Street.

The main contractor for the building was "Caters", and the first Stated Meeting to be held in the Hall was on the 28th July 1898. The Hall was of course much different to the one we are currently in: the original had living accommodation, a much smaller Lodge and Festive Room, and a Club Room. Shortly after the 1939–1945 war a major renovation programme took place, leaving the existing Craft Lodge Room as we see it, and a portion of the old Festive Room can also be viewed. Matters, however, do not stand still, and in the 1990s, after various discussions, meetings and plans, we now have an updated and much larger Masonic Hall.

The Current Hall
With the growing needs of more comfortable and social requirements, and also the responsibility of adhering to current and future Building, Health and Safety regulations, the programme for enlargement and modernisation of the Hall commenced in the late 1990s. Whilst a main contractor carried out the foundations and main building structure of the Hall, costs were kept to a minimum by the unstinting giving of talents by voluntary members.

Entrance & Function Room
The current entrance to the Hall is of course new, and leads into a pleasant foyer with Ladies', Gents' and Disability toilets to the immediate right.



Going straight in, one arrives in the main function room of the extended Hall. This is used by the Masonic bodies for their festive evenings — dinner dances, Installation dinners and the like — and by the Masonic Social Club, which is open every Saturday evening. A new kitchen has been provided, along with good bar facilities. Future plans for this area include the complete refurbishment of the original part of the function room and the provision of a soundproof room divider, to enable two functions to take place on the same evening.
Upstairs
A lift has been installed for the benefit of any visitor and can be accessed from the Function Room / old bar area.
It has frequently been said that Freemasonry is a secret society, but this is not the case. Bowling clubs, golf clubs, churches and the like all have their private meetings, and even today some clubs — not Masonic — will not admit you until a ballot has been held. Perhaps our greatest strength is that we have no discussion whatsoever on religion or politics. So if you have any questions on the Order in general, you will find further information here.
On going upstairs, the door to the immediate left leads into what is known as an Ante Room. This room is used by the members for sorting out their regalia, signing the Attendance Book and socialising before going into the Lodge Room for the formal meeting.
The "Craft" or Lodge Room
There are currently seven Masonic Lodges, or Craft Lodges, using this room. Prior to the extension it was also used by three Royal Arch Chapters, hence the various Veils (or curtains). The room has a certain atmosphere about it, perhaps because of the old and antique chairs and the various Warrants which hang on the walls. Each Lodge has its own Warrant, issued by the Grand Lodge of Ireland. Lodge meetings are held in a formal manner, exactly the same as in other organisations. We have one particular and very strong rule in the Order, and that is that there must never be any talk or discussion on religion or politics; all we ask of a member is that he has a belief in the Supreme Being. This Lodge Room will in due course be renovated — the heating system modernised, painting, and so on — but it is hoped to maintain the atmosphere of the room.
Extension
Leaving the Lodge Room via the door immediately behind the Junior Warden's chair, we enter a narrow hallway which leads into the Library / Museum / Committee Room.


Currently in it we have many interesting Masonic artefacts, as well as an old drum and banner which were used when walking to church on the two St. John's Days was the done thing. A small store room is also located here, as well as a fire escape.
Leaving this fine room we arrive at what is now the Chapter Room. This is used by the three Royal Arch Chapters which sit in the Hall, a Council of Knight Masons and a High Knight Templar Preceptory. Their Warrants are currently displayed, and the Veils are used by the three Chapters in their ceremonies. Having this room saves a large amount of work in arranging and re-arranging furniture, and of course frees the Craft Room for any future Lodges who may wish to use the Hall.


Going out from the Chapter Room, we enter into a further Ante Room, again used by the members for "clothing" and, like the other Ante Room, for the storage of regalia used by the various Masonic bodies. Leaving this room we pass new toilets and arrive back at the top of the staircase.
Of all the things I hear and see, day by day I am building me.